Saturday, May 18, 2013

Applying the Fiberglass to the Cowl

I have a moment while I wait for the top layer of glass to set up so here is a quick update. At this point I have 12 hours into it.

After the shape was close enough, I sanded away enough space for the glass to be flush with the existing cowl.

 Sam Hoskins of Q200 fame sent me a message warning me of using silicone as a mold release. I had intended to thin bathroom silicone and brush it on but went another direction. The gent in the hanger next to me owns a fiberglass shop and he stopped by to get his boat so I asked him what he would do with it.

He recommended that I put a couple of coats of automotive primer on it first


He gave me a pint of polyvinyl alcohol (PVA), and said that I should spray light coats of the material on the cowl until it took on the green hue of the PVA, then wax it three times with a mold release wax. While investigating how to thin the silicone, I came across the recommendation of using PVA and that I should be able to find it at a craft store, but I had no idea what it was nor could I find it locally. After spraying it on with a HVLP gun it forms a rubber shell that epoxy will not stick to. Pretty cool stuff.


The next step was to cut the fiberglass on a bias so that it would conform to the complex shapes. Cutting it on a bias simply means that you cut the glass so that the weave is 45 degrees.

First a coat of West Systems epoxy is applied to the cowl with a brush, then using a body putty scraper, push the glass into the coat of epoxy. Next a second layer of glass was added and applied with the scraper and a paint brush. A "stipple" brush (a paint brush with the hairs cut very short) is then used to get rid of the air bubbles and push the cloth into the corners.



From there, peep ply was laid onto the top, but the resin was starting to set up. Its not covered as well as I would have liked, but it still saves a lot of sanding later.

Next step is to take a picture while making a stupid face.


So here is where it sits. I have a radiant heater on it to speed the curing process. More picts and text as things progress. So far so good!




No comments:

Post a Comment