Friday, February 28, 2014

Cowl shaping and other odds and ends...

Lots of late nights at the hanger for the last 10 days. I have been finishing up the shape of the cowl as the main focus, with other projects in process as I wait for layups to set up.

Here is where the cowl is as of tonight. The basic shapes are done and I am ready to move on. The lower cowl still needs some filler below the inlet to smooth the transition but that will now become a side project.


Between layups, I started on the seat modification that will allow me enough room above my head for a helmet. To lower the seat height, I have to build a control assembly that is smaller than the original. The stock torque tube is 1.5" and used tall phenolic pillow blocks. By reducing the torque tube to 1" and revising the seat pan I can gain about 2.5" of height above my head.

Rather than using split pillow block, I decided to make two slip on blocks out of aluminum using a drill press and a mill vice. Not a great way to make them, but I have to work with what tools I have available.


I added a grease fitting and a grove internally to lubricate them.


Below is the seat area. I followed the plans originally by adding steel straps between the outer tubes of the seat frame. Not exactly sure how to make the new pan yet, but I have a few ideas.


One thing is for sure, I am ready to be done fiberglass work for a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment