Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Time to put it in the air...

Not flying, but just up in the air to make the completion of the oil cooler installation, bonding of the new bottom cowl piece, installation of the new wheel pants and cooling outlet construction easier.

I have 3 sets of electric hoists in the hanger. Two sets are on the one side, one has my Smith Miniplane fuselage on it, one is currently open. The center hoists are rated to lift 2200 lbs and they are usually used to store the Sonerai over the winter (on the rare occasion that I don't completely tear it apart). The more common use for the center hoists is to get the plane up off the ground to clean the belly.

Getting the plane up in the air with them takes a matter of minutes as seen in this video:


I lifted it up and rested a little of the weight on a pair of saw horses to finish up all of the nut plates that hold the cooler in place. While its up, I intend to finish making the oil lines as well.



I also removed the oil cooler duct from the cooler and got it trimmed. As you may notice, I still have some filler to scrap out of it before its bonded to the cooler.



Pretty boring stuff, but its a few more things off of the list...

No comments:

Post a Comment