Thursday, February 13, 2014

More Lower Cowl Progress

I did not have much time to work on much tonight, but I got the cowl to the next step.

I ended up changing the oil cooler inlet angle and extending it to get it out of the boundary layer. After the rough shape was sanded and filled, I sprayed the entire bottom of the cowl with PVA and waxed it 3 times as a mold release.




The layup was done in two steps but together. The first three pieces of glass went just in front of the inlet using a fairly light cloth. The next step was to lay up two layers of pretty heavy glass and then a layer of deck cloth over them to make finishing easier.




After they started to set up, I trimmed the inlet and outlet area (which is not the final shape) to see how it looked, and that is where I left it for the night. 


Next up is to add a radius to the front of where it is trimmed in the picture and hollow out the foam to form the first 2 inches of the inside of the inlet.

This thing might be back in the air this year after all. Yippie!

No comments:

Post a Comment