Sunday, February 16, 2014

Inlet Duct Progress

The first step was to hotwire a straight piece of foam that allows for the interface of the removable scoop (easier to show once I get there rather than try and explain).




Next step was to make a jig that would hold the inlet template in place once the external scoop was removed.


Once the scoop was removed, I stacked foam and glued between the face of the cooler and the template.


From there the foam was shaped and blended between the two shapes. Plywood templates were used on both ends as a sanding guide and to prevent screwing up either end.


After sanding and filling, the part was checked for alignment. 


Of course I usually have to make 2 or 3 parts before I figure out what I am doing ; ) The blue one below was the first attempt. I abandoned it because the top of the duct was flat and I wanted to get the air to change direction before heading through the cooler. 



Next was the layup, which was a layer of deck cloth first to keep the inside of the duct as smooth as possible and then 3 layers of heavy glass. Both had to be cut on a bias to make the curves. Looks more like a murder scene than fiberglass work ; ) I usually use epoxy dye with resin and filler, alternating colors as a sanding guide, but this is red just to match the engine ; )


While waiting for the resin to set up, I started working on the convergent duct part of the cooling outlet. 


Here is the trimmed piece. Next it goes back in place to layup the flange to attach it to the cooler, then the removable part of the inlet. 


1 comment: